Tricks that the brain plays

Pat -

On Tuesday, March 19, 2002, at 02:16 , Patrick G Konshak wrote:

Time Travel:

Time travel would have no effect on the nodes themselves. The nodes are
fixed and unchanging.
Form what I can tell from your model. If you time traveled back you
would experience the nodes just the same as you did before, there for,
you wouldn't know you traveled back. What would happen is you would get
trapped in a continues time loop.
Not quite. When you go back you can chose to follow a different branch of the probability tree. The nodes that you visit are selected through free will. You chose to turn right or left at a fork in the road. Time travel would allow you to go back and select a different node. The nodes that are available to chose from are limited by a set of physical laws. You can chose to go right or left at the fork in the road, you cannot chose the node where your car transforms into a GE Energy Saver refrigerator, you turn into a salmon, and the road becomes a river. If you were able to travel backward along the probability path you could then select a different path on the second go around.

Consciousness:

Please stop using conscience as consciousness.
You right I was using it wrong.  If you use any of my stuff, change
conscience to consciousness.  I tried to stay away from souls,
disembodied consciousness, & life after death.  I just don't know.
I'll keep that in mind. If I publish this correspondence, I'll make an effort to eliminate the conscience/consciousness mistakes.

The Rest of The Story:

People who have been clinically dead, and then resuscitated, report
experiences outside of the physical when they recover.
There is two medical definitions for death, One is body death (don't
remember the medical term) were your heart and lungs stop. The second is
brain dead (also I don't remember the medical term) were your brain stop.
There is medical evidence that people can be resuscitated from body
"death". But there is no medical evidence of anyone ever coming back
from brain death (you can check any records). Once a nerve dies it can
never (as we know it today) be restored. Scientist know which part of
the brain that is responsible for life after death experience, and can
hook you up to a machine to stimulate this part of the brain. When this
is done to you, you will believe you had an out of body experience. You
may say, "how do you know it's not an out of body experience? They have
interviewed many people who claim to had this birds eye view, but they
were all wrong in describing things in the room that can only be seen
from above. They even place large numbers/large colored dots and stuff
that can only be seen from above, and no one that experience this can
identified them.

I thought you might want to hear the full store. You don't here about it
probable because it's not as exciting.

Thanks for the information. I wasn't aware that no one had ever recovered from being brain dead. By the way here's a link to an article which describes the clinical procedures/criteria which define brain death in the medical community. (http://www.comarecovery.org/braindeath.htm)

Some Cool Stuff:

Scientist have also discovered the part of the brain that makes you
believe in God. They took atheist and stimulated this part of the brain.
The atheist start wanting to pray and join a church. Then when it wears
off, they say something like "What was I thinking of." It's also true in
reverse. A true store of a religious man who had an accident and damage
this part of the brain. He stop going to church and pick up swearing.

Dose this mean our spiritual believes are based on brain chemistry? I
don't know.
Speaking of tricks that the brain plays on us... I once read, and have no idea where I originally read it; about the scientific causes of Deja-Vu. I was able to find a web reference (http://www.innerworlds.50megs.com/dejavu.htm) that restates what I read in the past. What I read goes basically like this. First of all lets get a definition out of the way, so that I'm sure we're all on the same page. Deja-Vu is the feeling that you are re-experiencing some specific event from the past in the present. The scientific explanation for this type of feeling goes something like this... It's caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. When events are occurring in the present, our brain processes the activity in a part of the brain called the amygdala. Deja-vu occurs when present events are processed in a part of the brain typically used to recall past memories. The parahippocampal cortex, which is very closely connected to the hippocampus. Because the event is processed in the parahippocampal cortex, it has a past 'flavor' associated with it.

Even Cooler:

I have never told anyone this before now, but I use to experiment with
conscious dreaming (i.e.: conscious awareness that you are dreaming),
self induced out of body projection, and traffic lights. I had some
limited success which leads me to believe I had the right formula and was
on the right track. However I gave it up for kids and work. Sometime I
wish I didn't. Who knows how far I could of gone. Talk about
experiencing so strange stuff. I was thinking of starting over, but I
can explain this some other day.
See my last email regarding Lucid Dreaming. Here's a web reference in case you're interested. (http://www.lucidity.com/) I remember our first exposure to Lucid Dreaming. We read about it in Omni magazine. (http://www.omnimag.com/index.html) As a matter of fact, I think I've found a link to the original article. (http://yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au/groups/eas/lucid1.html)

Have you seen the movie 'Flatliners'?
No I haven't.
I would suggest that you rent it. It's about a bunch of medical students who participate in some very scary medical experiments. They induce their own deaths, and then resuscitate each other after increasingly longer periods of time. The movie gets really freaky as the viewer is taken along on each of the characters afterlife journey's.

I own a copy on VHS. You should probably be able to find a copy at Blockbuster, it was (and remains) a fairly popular movie.

- Robert