Super, and super computers et. al.

Hi guys,

I have been sinking slowly in the deep end of your conversation lately. Pretty 'rarified' stuff!
But one piece did get me to think a bit. that was Pat's comment on the conscience as a powerful super computer versus an outside mechanism which imposes sequential order upon us.

Two seemingly unrelated thoughts occurred to me:

1. Isaac Asimov's observation that something, (technology) completely beyond our understanding would be indistinguishable from God.

2. A story I heard about Thomas Edison. Supposedly, he was asked to give a class to a group of physics students at Harvard. He gave them one of his light bulbs (picture the old-fashioned curly-que designs) and as their first assignment they had to measure its volume. The next day several students presented him with a vast array of formulas for measuring this strange object. he looked at them, chuckled, (I assume) and turned the light bulb upside down and filled it with water and measured the water's volume.

Ok, now my point, such as it is: Talking about probability paths as un-doable because we would need to be super computers to be able to impose the appearance of a sequence on events is kind of like people 200 years ago scoffing Jules Verne because certainly there wasn't enough gun powder in the whole world to send someone to the moon. We can't envision computing power of any sort, mechanical or 'mental' that can handle the complexity of a world striped of time and matter. So it must be infinitely complex. god-like.

But as we find with natural laws once we understand them, they are often remarkably simple and eloquent. If there is only consciousness and the rules which guide it; and assuming these rules are 'orderly' like cause and effect; then it would make sense that these rules would be expressed by our consciousness as 'sequential and orderly'.

It's not the only possibility. But back with Ocam's razor it surely cuts things the cleanest.

Rob,