[notime] Early posts/discussions regarding 'No Time/No Motion'

Robert Vaessen notime at robsworld.org
Wed Aug 19 16:01:50 MST 2015

All -

As I mentioned in an early post to this list - I’m planning to re-post some of my previous ‘No Time’ conversations in the ‘Akinetochronism’ forum.  Here’s one of the earliest discussions I engaged in with a correspondent. Your opinions are valuable - Please feel free to disagree with my ‘No Time / No Motion’ ideas, but lets keep the conversation civil.

In this particular discussion/conversation Harri and I discuss the ‘self’ or ‘I’, predestination and free will.

Hopefully your mail reader/email client allows you to see the ‘quoting’ levels in these two posts. In my email client, the levels of quotes result in different colors for the quotes of the correspondents (myself and Harri).

- Robert

Initial post:

> On Jun 22, 2003, at 15:23, Harri Laukkanen wrote:
>
> Hi Robert,
>
> I found your interesting theory in the Internet, and I think it's very similar to what I have been thinking about lately quite a lot. After reading your web page http://www.robsworld.org/notime.html perhaps not slowly enough, I made two observations compared to my thoughts:
>
> 1) In this context I'm not sure if one can talk about "I" existing. The consciousness travelling the probability path just creates an illusion of someone possessing that consciousness. Or should I say that the continuity of the consciousness is understood as "I", but that's not "I", that's just continuity of the consciousness.
>
> 2) There's no free will either. There is an illusion of free will in selecting the branches of the probability tree. In fact, there's no selection at all. Every branch is selected, but just one at a "time" is observed. This second point also follows from the first point. When there's no-one implementing the free will, there's no sense in claiming that free will exists.
>
> Best Regards,
> Harri

My reply: